Wednesday 12 February 2014

Modular Kitchen construction

While researching on Modular kitchens recently, I came across this bit of information from a mail archive. Saving it for future reference.

We completed our interiors a couple of months ago, I thought I would share my experiences with the group: 

1) I was told by a Plywood manufacturer (family friend) to never let anybody but you buy materials for your interiors. Apparently the interior contractor makes most money on the material (buying low-cost, poor quality materials) and worse you end up with lousy wood after you paid a whole lot per sqft of interiors. Although I was very apprehensive about buying wood and hardware(nails and hinges, not computers and printers) I found that if you get some help with what and where to buy, it is really quite simple – hence this long email. 

2) Types of wood for interiors. Most people these days do not use real wood (teak, rosewood etc) for their interiors, instead use manufactured woods like plywood, blockboard or MDF(medium density fiber). Plywood is the most durable since it is many thin layers of manufactured wood glued one on top of the other and is also more expensive than the other two. Block board is pieces of real wood bonded together between 2 thin slices of plywood. MDF – the material used by most modular kitchens is not very strong since MDF is made of powered wood and tends to chip and powder away (If you try to disassemble an IKEA piece you might notice powdering near the ***), but MDF gives a very smooth outer surface(esp. If you want to paint the outside). You are much better off using plywood over MDF given inexpensive labour in India. 

3) Surfaces: To make your ply, blockboard or MDF look pretty outside you will choose an outer finish such as a wood veneer, laminate, or paint. Wood veneer is a small (<0.5mm)>

4) Material brands and where to buy: For plywood I found that Hunsur Plywood(Hunsply) is the best plywood you can get, it is about twice as expensive as most other brands. Contact Hyder 09845018996 of Ahmedally and Co, on Mysore Road, Bangalore (beside the Mysore road flyover) from Hunsur Plywood. I also bought my veneers and laminates from Ahmedally and company. You will need a load of nails, *** and fevicol (adhesive) all this is easily bought at any hardware store. The next big ticket item are the hinges, drawer channels, wardrobe door handles – One of the best stores in town(Bangalore) is Paramanand on commercial street, that displays a huge variety as well has model kitchens etc upstairs where you can see many of these items in action. Prob. Paramanand is not the cheapest but I found it very convenient to pick out and buy all the interior hardware in one place. You can also get your entire kitchen drawers, channels and other funky modular-kitchen gizmos at Parmanand. 

5) Interior Designer, Contractor v/s Carpenter: We had an interior designer who we thought would design all our interiors, find a contractor to implement her designs and oversee the work to completion. Firstly our interior designer did not work out, work was too sloppy (maybe I am too anal, when it comes to design) and their project management skills left much to be desired. Since my wood industry friend told me the *trade secrets* of getting the interior done, I boldly although apprehensively ventured forth to take matters into my own hands. I did not go with a contractor since I was told to buy my own materials and there are few contractors who will take up only a labour contract without buying materials(which is the sweet spot). My plywood supplier found me a really good Rajasthani carpenter Nathuram(0984540422 9 – speak in hindi) - who turned out to be a god-sent. He brought in a crew of about 5 carpenters with circular saws (and other machines you see at HomeDepot) and worked at a blistering pace (I guess it is easy to be amazed after the pace of villa construction) . These Rajasthanis guys have a great attitude, fantastic talent and they work through Saturdays and Sundays (only take a break for vishwakarma day once a month). I was very happy to see their quality and professionalism (my MS project schedules were adhered to). In summary, I found it extremely rewarding to work with a good carpenter directly having bought the interior materials myself, Although it takes some effort, you will end up with the best quality interiors at about half the cost of a contractor led effort. Perhaps not everybody will want to do this, but I thought this would be useful for people embarking on the 'Villa Interiors' phase.

Buy modular kitchen in pune by best manufacturer Mykitchenindia

Source: http://puchublogs.blogspot.in/2008/06/modular-kitchen-construction.html

No comments:

Post a Comment